Herkimer County Current Trends
Overview of what’s trending in Herkimer County including marijuana, vaping, cocaine, opioids and methamphetamine.
Note: This is a brief overview of each substance. We can also provide a more in-depth presentation for each individual substance.
Some trainings provide OASAS credits. Many training sessions can be adapted for time and audience. FOR MORE INFORMATION OR TO SCHEDULE A TRAINING, PLEASE CALL NICOLE LAW AT 315-894-8080 OR SEND AN EMAIL TO NLAW@CCHERKIMER.ORG
Understanding the Vaping Trend
Understanding the increase in popularity of use of
e-cigarettes and Juul’s among today’s youth.
The Opioid Epidemic
An overview of today’s opioid problem including the use and abuse of prescription medication and how this has impacted the rise in heroin use.
Signs and Symptoms of Substance Use
How to recognize drug use and paraphernalia that might indicate engagement in substance use and where to get help.
Signs and Symptoms for School Violence Prevention
What to Look for and When to Speak Up Overview of risk factors, warning signs and threats that could be a red flag to destructive behavior and understanding the importance of reporting information.
Sport Prevention Plus Wellness
This single session evidence based substance abuse prevention program focuses on healthy living by encouraging positive life changes including healthy eating, sport participation, stress control, and adequate rest. By increasing these factors we look to decrease substance use.
Key learning points of the training are:
1. Understand the importance of knowing about gaming and underage gambling
2. Define gaming vs. gambling and discuss blurred lines
3. Talk about emerging trends
4. Discuss the risks of underage gambling for youth
5. Review actions the audience can take to prevent underage gambling
Duration of training: Approximately 1 hour
Recovery Coach Academy
This 5 day course gets you started on becoming a certified recovery coach. Topics include understanding addiction, motivational interviewing, and coaching basics.
This training is for the sale of alcohol on and off premise. Each class is about 2-4 hours in length.
Herkimer County Current Trends
This training covers all the current trends that we've found throughout the county.
Suicide Safety Training:
Learn to recognize the warning signs and understand your role in responding.
1. Review the importance of suicide prevention
2. Describe characteristics of at-risk students
3. Outline eductaors' limited but critical role
4. Clarify building referral procedures
5. Identify school and community resources
Duration of training: One hour; In person
Youth Mental Health First Aid
Youth Mental Health First Aid is designed to teach parents, family members, caregivers, teachers, school staff, peers, neighbors, health and human services workers, and other caring citizens how to help an adolescent (age 12-18) who is experiencing a mental health or addictions challenge or is in crisis.
Duration of training (2 options):
• In-person – Learners will receive their training as an 8-hour, Instructor-led, in-person course.
• Blended – Learners complete a 2-hour, self-paced online course, and participate in a 4.5- to 5.5-hour, Instructor-led training. This Instructor-led Training can be: » A video conference. » An in-person class.